This year's chosen charity to support is EACH (East Anglia's Children's Hospice). We were given a guided tour.
At Holbrook we are proud to have pupil representatives that take part in Class and School Council meetings. These councils are in place so that pupils have a voice and are involved in decisions about the school that affect them. Through Class Council all pupils have the opportunity to raise issues, share ideas and take part in discussions that involve all of their classmates in reaching a democratic solution. Wider issues that arise at Class Council are discussed further at School Council, this ensures that as many pupil voices as possible are heard. Pupils at Holbrook know that this is their school and their thoughts and ideas matter. Our School Council meet fortnightly and share their minutes at whole school assemblies. During these assemblies they introduce a Big Question which is then discussed the following week during our individual in-class School Council assemblies. Our School Council also act as an eco-committee and are devoted to making Holbrook as green a school as possible.
Holbrook Primary Eco-Code
The School Council would like all pupil, staff and visitors to agree to the following eco-code
- RECYCLE all scrap paper, using both sides.
- RECYCLE all cardboard.
- RECYCLE all clean, plastic containers.
- RECYCLE used batteries, textiles, crisp packets, ink cartridges, and shoes.
- REUSE fruit and vegetable waste for compost.
- REUSE materials to support our learning (junk modelling, glue pots, flower pots etc.).
- REUSE pens and glue sticks by putting lids back on after use.
- REDUCE the amount of paper printed and always print double sided and use less coloured ink
- REDUCE the amount of energy used to heat our radiators by turning them down and wearing a jumper
- REDUCE water wastage by turning off taps.
- REDUCE electricity wastage by switching off and closing doors.
- REDUCE food wastage by pre ordering our school lunches and eating up!
- REDUCE our carbon footprint by walking, scooting or biking to school.
- REDUCE our use of single use plastics by using reusable drinks bottles, avoiding cling film and purchasing responsibly.
- REDUCE the use of plastic by only laminating when absolutely necessary
Pop into the Ipswich Town Hall to see you your eco art works on display - they look wonderful!
Spring Term litter picks
Autumn litter picks
Well done to our School Council for their litter pick today. They collected 4.5 kgs of rubbish, most of it was plastic and non recyclable wrappers. Our next litter pick will be in a month's time, hopefully there will be less rubbish in our school grounds.