Tuesday (Examing the Postscript)
There has been a lot of very positive feedback about our final class text this year. I'm really glad that people enjoyed the story and used it well to create their own example of an adventure text.
Chapter 10 is a great piece of action writing and concludes Michael's adventure with Kensuke. Please take a look at the postscript too. Have you read this already? If not, please read through this.
Answer the questions below about Chapter 10 thinking carefully about which question type is being asked. Remember, there are different types of question:
inference - reading between the lines and piecing the information you have together (a more advanced skill)
prediction - what's going to happen next, based upon what you have read so far
summarising - selecting the important pieces of information / events seen in the text
retrieval - finding evidence directly from the text (the most basic skill in reading)
Chapter 10 + Postscript Questions
- Why do you think the chapter is called “Killer Men Come”?
- Why doesn’t Kensuke light the fire when he can see the boat on the horizon?
- After the fire is lit, what is special about the boat Michael spots?
- Why does Kensuke say he must stay on the island?
- Describe Michael’s reunion with his family on pg. 160.
- Had Michael’s parents given up on ever finding him?
- Describe the events that occurred in the Postscript.
Reread ‘Postscript’ from the back of the book (if you haven't done already). Discuss the following with someone at home: Why has the author included this? What would Michael tell Michiya about Kensuke?
I would like you to pretend you are Michael and write a dedication to Kensuke on behalf of his family.
What's a dedication?
A dedication is something written and said in honour of someone. This is a good chance to use your summarising skills by giving an overview of some of the memorable experiences that Michael had with Kensuke. Use this dedication to Martin Luther King to help you by clicking here